Monday, June 29, 2009

Music, Culture & Design

Music is an essential part of almost each human being. It doesn't matter the genre or the artist, music is always part of our lives. In Mexico, the most famous square where Mariachis (Mexican music) play is called Garibaldi. 
Since I live in Miami, I haven't found a place like this. I guess it is because Mexican population has being growing in Miami since the last three years. The curious detail is that I found the Plaza Garibaldi in Barcelona. It looks quite different to the Mexican one because there are not singers but this art is expressed in many other ways around Europe. 
This singer was performing in one little square in Barcelona, he was singing songs in English, this is interesting to me because I would have expected a spanish person singing in Spanish; however, this man was incredible and everybody who was passing by stopped just to witness his amazing talent. Moreover, just a few people could resist to leave at least a coin for him.



Musical expression is not only a way to get some money in the streets but also it represents part of many cities' pop culture. Besides this way of expression, I found interesting how people enjoy these kind of presentations; tourists barely stop, locals are the main audience.
During my trip around Europe, I witnessed a Music Festival in Paris, a Carnival in Berlin and a "serenata"  in Vienna. All of these events tookk place in the streets.
The Carnival in Berlin had music and dancing, we saw a parade of different cultures from different countries. We were able to listen different rhythms and to see exotic costumes.

 
Advertisement was also present, the two main examples I can mention are, a hula hoop school and a water backpack.
The hula hoop dancers were giving post cards with the information of their school and the guy with the backpack was serving water to the participants.


No comments:

Post a Comment